When reading this article I could not but help have respect for the level of social understand that they have. Relating the Arab Architecture to missiles is horribly racist, yet it passed because the designer was able to bring out peoples deepest fears. Playing on simple and elegant design ideas to get past a radical and morally wrong idea. My favorite quote from the article is when an advertising campian manger looks at the pieces and comments, “[The pieces are]Fifty percent Stalin, 50 percent Norman Rockwell,” was his assessment. “The images are aggressive, not funny, without charm, straight to the point, clear and” — he was speaking aesthetically here — “in no way radical. They’re the opposite of most advertising today. They aim just at their target audience.”
One a more personal note the article, along with me sculpture class, had me thinking about how I design my conceptual pieces of art and design. Most of the time I try to appeal to the logical side of the brain, which leads to decoding my designs though the leaving of logical arrows to the message. Where has the article points out that, “The message must go straight to the stomach, not to the brain, and connect with specific emotions involving fear, health, money, safety. We can focus just on our target audience so we can speak in a special language and speak to a feeling these people already have.” Which is not a way I though to design until I read this article.
1. What design issues are you interested in? 2. What is your dream collaboration? 3. Compare your fashion style to your GD style. 4. What is your ideal work environment? 5. Response to Ira Glass on good taste. 6. Write a story
When reading this article I could not but help have respect for the level of social understand that they have. Relating the Arab Architecture to missiles is horribly racist, yet it passed because the designer was able to bring out peoples deepest fears. Playing on simple and elegant design ideas to get past a radical and morally wrong idea. My favorite quote from the article is when an advertising campian manger looks at the pieces and comments, “[The pieces are]Fifty percent Stalin, 50 percent Norman Rockwell,” was his assessment. “The images are aggressive, not funny, without charm, straight to the point, clear and” — he was speaking aesthetically here — “in no way radical. They’re the opposite of most advertising today. They aim just at their target audience.”
ReplyDeleteOne a more personal note the article, along with me sculpture class, had me thinking about how I design my conceptual pieces of art and design. Most of the time I try to appeal to the logical side of the brain, which leads to decoding my designs though the leaving of logical arrows to the message. Where has the article points out that, “The message must go straight to the stomach, not to the brain, and connect with specific emotions involving fear, health, money, safety. We can focus just on our target audience so we can speak in a special language and speak to a feeling these people already have.”
Which is not a way I though to design until I read this article.