We all love typography and we can't deny it because it is one of the main tools we use to color our words. I am just amazed a how many new typefaces come out each year and are usually just a hair different than earlier fonts. There is a real art to designing these faces but like Curtis said. I don't believe we need to pay astronomical prices to use them. To me it doesn't make sense why we will pay hundreds of dollars on one typeface while others are free and look just as good if not better than some paid ones. I believe there needs to be a redesign in how typefaces are purchased and used so it doesn't financially kill the designer to use a single typeface in one of his works. But that's just my cheep ass mentality.
I agree that free, quality, typefaces are very nice and whenever I come across one I don't pass up the opportunity to download it, but I personally don't think that all typefaces should be free. Sure they might seem like they are too expensive now, but hopefully someday we'll have jobs that will allow us to purchase them. From what I understand, in the professional world if there is a typeface that you simply must use for a job you're suppose to sell it to the client; if they see why it would make their job better they are responsible for its purchase, much like an interior designer suggesting specific furniture. Many of the typefaces that I like I can't really afford right now, but because I recognize the work that goes in creating them I feel that the type designers should be compensated accordingly.
I almost never will even give a free font a second look at this point because of the ubiquity of terrible ones out there. I completely understand the price of the nicer fonts, because I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work that went into creating them. Just like any intellectual property, the designers need to see a return on their time investment somehow. I have alot of the nicer fonts myself, but I didn't necessarily pay for them...In any event, I think it'll be a nice change of pace to have access and the funds to purchase the fonts that I desire in the future.
1. What design issues are you interested in? 2. What is your dream collaboration? 3. Compare your fashion style to your GD style. 4. What is your ideal work environment? 5. Response to Ira Glass on good taste. 6. Write a story
It's interesting as I scan through the 'Font of the Year' as you may, the most interesting and engaging typeface is League Gothic; the only free font.
ReplyDeleteI understand that typefaces cost money. It took time and effort to design them, I am just sad they are not more easily accessible at a cheaper price.
In the perfect world, fonts would be free, yet the designer still gets paid from some mystery font man. I like that idea.
We all love typography and we can't deny it because it is one of the main tools we use to color our words. I am just amazed a how many new typefaces come out each year and are usually just a hair different than earlier fonts. There is a real art to designing these faces but like Curtis said. I don't believe we need to pay astronomical prices to use them. To me it doesn't make sense why we will pay hundreds of dollars on one typeface while others are free and look just as good if not better than some paid ones. I believe there needs to be a redesign in how typefaces are purchased and used so it doesn't financially kill the designer to use a single typeface in one of his works. But that's just my cheep ass mentality.
ReplyDeleteI agree that free, quality, typefaces are very nice and whenever I come across one I don't pass up the opportunity to download it, but I personally don't think that all typefaces should be free. Sure they might seem like they are too expensive now, but hopefully someday we'll have jobs that will allow us to purchase them. From what I understand, in the professional world if there is a typeface that you simply must use for a job you're suppose to sell it to the client; if they see why it would make their job better they are responsible for its purchase, much like an interior designer suggesting specific furniture. Many of the typefaces that I like I can't really afford right now, but because I recognize the work that goes in creating them I feel that the type designers should be compensated accordingly.
ReplyDeleteI almost never will even give a free font a second look at this point because of the ubiquity of terrible ones out there. I completely understand the price of the nicer fonts, because I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work that went into creating them. Just like any intellectual property, the designers need to see a return on their time investment somehow. I have alot of the nicer fonts myself, but I didn't necessarily pay for them...In any event, I think it'll be a nice change of pace to have access and the funds to purchase the fonts that I desire in the future.
ReplyDelete