I find this campaign compelling. I think it is an interesting critique of the words stupid and smart. We are told in design when brainstorming that no idea is stupid and all should be considered. Even if it is far out there, it can always be brought back in. It reminds me of the IDEO video we watched in Collaborative Process.
In reality they are extremely smart, but this campaign is a fun way to express their interest in taking risks, in creating something new and bold, something that a 'smart' realist wouldn't think of. More power to them.
Along with Curtis, I think that this campaign was very unique and did a great job in marketing towards their specific audience of young adults. By using the words smart and stupid, I think they were able to make it fun and entertaining and if people stayed to watch the whole video then obviously it was a success. More and more people are taking risks because they have realized how great the outcome can be. Personally, as a designer I would much rather fail something and learn from that experience. Failure can lead to some of the greatest ideas and everyone should be open to it.
When I first looked at the campaign, I thought it was really creative and fun. The video was enjoyable and did a good job of grabbing your attention. I love the line "Smart may have the brains, stupid has the balls." And I totally agree with Curtis and Amber that stupidity is a great thing because it forces you to take risks that can produce some great outcomes. It's also pretty brave to be stupid.
My only critique about the campaign is that I don't really get how it relates back to their apparel. I guess if you view their Be Stupid Catalog, you see small images, in which people are wearing Diesel clothing. But do these clothes help you be stupid? In most of the images, people are taking their clothing off anyways. Basically I would like to see some text or something that pulls it all together.
Otherwise, I think this is an awesome campaign that really targets our age group well!
From what I see, I am a fan of this campaign. It takes a light-hearted "have fun with" life approach which is one that will never go out of style. It is an interesting play, like curtis said, between the two words, smart and stupid. More than likely the people that would put themselves into the "smart" category are going to take offense to it and critique it. While those who are perfectly fine with accepting the "stupid" label (in a have fun kind of way, of course) are going to think its a pretty smart and creative ad. Personally, i wont hesitate to throw myself into the stupid pile considered that i made a project that marketed nuts and was called "the crown jewels"
1. What design issues are you interested in? 2. What is your dream collaboration? 3. Compare your fashion style to your GD style. 4. What is your ideal work environment? 5. Response to Ira Glass on good taste. 6. Write a story
I find this campaign compelling. I think it is an interesting critique of the words stupid and smart. We are told in design when brainstorming that no idea is stupid and all should be considered. Even if it is far out there, it can always be brought back in. It reminds me of the IDEO video we watched in Collaborative Process.
ReplyDeleteIn reality they are extremely smart, but this campaign is a fun way to express their interest in taking risks, in creating something new and bold, something that a 'smart' realist wouldn't think of. More power to them.
Along with Curtis, I think that this campaign was very unique and did a great job in marketing towards their specific audience of young adults. By using the words smart and stupid, I think they were able to make it fun and entertaining and if people stayed to watch the whole video then obviously it was a success. More and more people are taking risks because they have realized how great the outcome can be. Personally, as a designer I would much rather fail something and learn from that experience. Failure can lead to some of the greatest ideas and everyone should be open to it.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first looked at the campaign, I thought it was really creative and fun. The video was enjoyable and did a good job of grabbing your attention. I love the line "Smart may have the brains, stupid has the balls." And I totally agree with Curtis and Amber that stupidity is a great thing because it forces you to take risks that can produce some great outcomes. It's also pretty brave to be stupid.
ReplyDeleteMy only critique about the campaign is that I don't really get how it relates back to their apparel. I guess if you view their Be Stupid Catalog, you see small images, in which people are wearing Diesel clothing. But do these clothes help you be stupid? In most of the images, people are taking their clothing off anyways. Basically I would like to see some text or something that pulls it all together.
Otherwise, I think this is an awesome campaign that really targets our age group well!
From what I see, I am a fan of this campaign. It takes a light-hearted "have fun with" life approach which is one that will never go out of style. It is an interesting play, like curtis said, between the two words, smart and stupid. More than likely the people that would put themselves into the "smart" category are going to take offense to it and critique it. While those who are perfectly fine with accepting the "stupid" label (in a have fun kind of way, of course) are going to think its a pretty smart and creative ad. Personally, i wont hesitate to throw myself into the stupid pile considered that i made a project that marketed nuts and was called "the crown jewels"
ReplyDeleteLife's short, enjoy every bit of it you can.