Tuesday, February 9, 2010

10 Favorite Innovations for Reducing Plastic Consumer Waste



Link

5 comments:

  1. This blog was really interesting because it sparked new ideas for our final project in packaging this term. Plastic is one of many wastes that should be redesigned and I will be keeping that in mind when researching ideas.

    I think the best innovation stated in this article was with HP. Creating a box that a consumer would want to keep after purchasing the product is a great way to market its sustainability. Not only did they have a box, but the bag was pretty unique as well. I think as a consumer I would prefer the box over a bag because it could be used for other things than just holding a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed looking at the Unpackaged grocery store. I think its a great concept for people that want to minimize the amount of packaging they use. Its much more sustainable to bring in your own containers and fill them up with whatever you may need. However, it may be cumbersome to bring in your own containers from home if you plan on shopping throughout the day. Offering this kind of alternative is quite progressive and I think its definitely a niche. Quite like a Saturday Market, it takes a certain crowd of folks to come in and pack up what they'd like to buy in their containers. I'd totally do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel it is our job as a designer to create new products that not only look and function well but also can be reused or recycled easily. This to me is the next step in product/packaging design that we need to address so that our work doesn't turn into a trash can. I think that if you choose to use a material that doesn't biodegrade easily you should design it in a way that it can be reused for some other purposes. I believe that within these next 10 years we will see a revolution in designing products or redesigning how we obtain products in a way that leave a significant smaller carbon footprint behind. I am very excited to see how we achieve these feats also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge advocate for waste reduction, recycling, and sustainability. I love that there is a huge green movement within so many different areas right now, but especially am liking the movement and what is happening in the design world. As we approach our final project in packaging, I look forward to finding new ways to create packaging that has a function other than just containing a product and then being tossed, in order to reduce waste. Becoming involved with sustainability is so hot right now, which is exciting and because of that, we are going to start seeing a lot of innovation in design of products that will reflect waste reduction. YAY EARTH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article reminded me of the scene in movie objectified. Dieter Rams said that good design should be long lived. I agree with Brenden in the fact that packaging is going to change soon. For our sake I hope a lot sooner than ten years from now. I think that taking some packaging out of the equation is a great idea. The way some things exist in nature are meant to be utilized by us as humans. taking in to mind the Unpacked store, and how they sell their product. It is better for business to not have to provide bags. At the same time it is better for the buyer because they are getting a product that is fresh and healthy. Also the buyer doesn't have to pay for the box or container that the food comes in, because they re-use their own. Saving money over time. Seems like a win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete