Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Graphic Content | Film At First Sight



Bring back the old style for the new media.

4 comments:

  1. I've stumbled upon Annyas’s site before and have admired the movie titles and closing credits he's captured. A good portion of the credits made then are so highly typographic and rich in meaning to each movie they represented. It'd be great to see this titles with such grandeur to make a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is legit! I am surprised not more people have commented on it. I would love to see the re-resurgence of the "old style" for the new media. Last year when we all worked in new media I picked North by Northwests title sequence to re-do. The first time I watched the movie was for that class, I must have watched it at least 5 or 6 times during the project. A great film. Originally I thought the tittle sequence was beautiful and simple. I figured it would be a walk in the park to try and re-work it and make it my own. Wrong. Saul Bass is a genius. I had a great time working with that project and would really like to see the style of the title sequence of a movie have more personality like it used to. However I think that films and motion pictures are now designed differently. The beginning sequence of the movie may now set the tone instead of the title sequence. The acting speaks louder that the emotions of the work done with the type. None the less I hope movies mix some old school intro's with the modern film making style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote about this revival in my thesis! I love these vintage aesthetics! There are many movements that have incorporated vintage type and styles. One is steampunk, which mixes Victorian era London with fantasy/sci-fi technology of the future. One video game that has incorporated vintage type is Bioshock. If you haven't seen these examples, you should totally check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really enjoy some of the older style movie title sequences. Its great that the James Bond series still stays true to its roots and maintains the powerful title sequence as an integral aspect of the movie package. I also particularly enjoyed the sequence for "catch me if you can" which is arguably even more entertaining than the movie itself (which I also love). These eye-catching title sequences really set the mood for the movie and show soem serious attention to detail. Today's world of the internet and unlimited access to media also opens the door for these small sequences to be available to everyone at any time. All you need to do to see some of these sequences is to hop onto youtube and hit play.

    ReplyDelete