It's really interesting to see how a country's culture and history can influence it's graphic design. As much as Greek designers might think that they have no history of design to build on, or that they must copy what other cultures at the forefront of design are doing, it's inevitable that the country's history will have a profound affect on the design it produces. This shows in the unique creations made made by the contributors to the art walk the author attended.
It's also interesting to see the similarities and differences between design here and abroad. This article emphasized the fact that, though styles, viewpoints, and insights vary widely from country to country, graphic designers everywhere share a common language. And, it seems, a common plight. "Heart vs. Commerce"? Maybe it will take an international collaboration to find a solution to that problem...
There are so many awesome design things happening around the world! I wish that there was stuff like this happening around here. And by here, I mean the US. I know that there are many areas where there is more cultural diversity than Corvallis, and I want to hear about those things that are going on in New York, LA, etc. I feel like, no matter what I would be able to find here in the US, it wouldn't even begin to compare to the design that I could find abroad. So why is our country so conservative in terms of design? Why don't we have a great signage system like London? Why hasn't the US become a mecca for design like Switzerland, Germany, and other parts of the world?? There are times when I feel like our country is more suppressed than others in this aspect, and it frustrates me to no end.
1. What design issues are you interested in? 2. What is your dream collaboration? 3. Compare your fashion style to your GD style. 4. What is your ideal work environment? 5. Response to Ira Glass on good taste. 6. Write a story
It's really interesting to see how a country's culture and history can influence it's graphic design. As much as Greek designers might think that they have no history of design to build on, or that they must copy what other cultures at the forefront of design are doing, it's inevitable that the country's history will have a profound affect on the design it produces. This shows in the unique creations made made by the contributors to the art walk the author attended.
ReplyDeleteIt's also interesting to see the similarities and differences between design here and abroad. This article emphasized the fact that, though styles, viewpoints, and insights vary widely from country to country, graphic designers everywhere share a common language. And, it seems, a common plight. "Heart vs. Commerce"? Maybe it will take an international collaboration to find a solution to that problem...
There are so many awesome design things happening around the world! I wish that there was stuff like this happening around here. And by here, I mean the US. I know that there are many areas where there is more cultural diversity than Corvallis, and I want to hear about those things that are going on in New York, LA, etc. I feel like, no matter what I would be able to find here in the US, it wouldn't even begin to compare to the design that I could find abroad. So why is our country so conservative in terms of design? Why don't we have a great signage system like London? Why hasn't the US become a mecca for design like Switzerland, Germany, and other parts of the world?? There are times when I feel like our country is more suppressed than others in this aspect, and it frustrates me to no end.
ReplyDelete