While reading this article, all I could think about was The Brand Gap book that we read in ID class last term.
" A brand is a person's gut feeling about a product, service, or company. It's a gut feeling because we're all emotional, intuitive beings, despite out best efforts to be rational. It's a person's gut feeling, because in the end the brand is defined by individuals, not by companies, markets, or the so-called general public. Each person creates his or her own version of it." (The Brand Gap By: Marty Neumeier)
Personally, I think that MTV has turned into a brand and doesn't need to hold onto the "music television". A brand goes where ever it needs to. MTV has been moving forward with reality tv shows because of its popularity and because nobody wants to sit around and watch music video after music video on tv. In order to be successful I believe that companies or people may have to follow a different path in order to stay alive in the business world. TV has to give people what they want and if what they want is not on MTV then they will just change the channel. So why keep "music television" if that is not what you are showing?
I don't think that I have ever watched the MTV channel, everything I know about it is from word of mouth and advertising. From that view point, the dropping of the "Music Television" makes sense. Because I always hear people talk about it's personality shows, style and products not the music shown on it. I have always viewed it more a a subculture following, "The MTV Style" was something I heard a lot from my friends. This usually meant fast paced, loud and edgy. If this truly is the brand feeling that surrounds MTV then this switch should not hurt them at all. In fact it sounds like it is cleaning the brand message by admitting the fact that they are not just music and thus when people do watch their TV shows they aren't wondering why it is on a music station.
CONGRATULATIONS MTV!!! Hahaha this is too funny the channel formally known for its music videos, and more recently for its terrible reality shows is finally dropping the Music Television line in their logo. In my eyes this is the right step forward with their brand because for so long people complained that MTV was supposed to be a music channel which we all know it's not. The reason we complain is because that was the blatant name of the channel. Dropping the Music Television lie will give MTV in my eyes a better name to move forward with in whatever way they want to evolve there brand. I still think its funny that it took this long for this change to happen when it was so apparent.
I'd have to agree with Brenden on this one. This is a smart move for MTV. They've finally accepted that they are no longer interested in music. For some reason it's easier to pay for cheap productions following 20-somethings party, or celebrity dating competitions. It's pathetic what they have evolved into, but at least they know it now. No more will people complain that MTV isn't Music Television.
But now what will MTV stand for? More Tacky Videos?
AGREED! MTV hasn't played music video (except for from like 2-7 in the morning) for a long time!! MTV has evolved from music (hence, MUSIC TELEVISION!) to a hotbed of crappy reality tv shows that are supposed to portray "real life" but in fact everything is so extreme and ridiculous that it all seems scripted, and the ridiculousness of it are what are making them so popular. HAHA > Nicole, More Tacky Videos. I think you should suggest that to them. Crappy reality tv aside, MTV has been around for a long time and most people can recognize the logo without having "music television" written out underneath.
Its the perpetual chase of whats "cool" to the teenage croud that companies are always trying to market to. The MTV of yesteryear is long gone, because it was the "cool" thing at the time. The constant chasing of this elusive feeling is constantly destroying and rebuilding brands that we all know and love. While the logo is still instantly recognizable without the "music television" tagline, the simplification clearly indicates their shift into a new market. I miss the old days of MTV, but the rebellion it once instilled was just a product of the "cool" of the day anyways...
two reasons that mtv could have done this. One is a good one and the other one is a bad one. Unfortunately, the reason they did indeed make this change is the bad one. That being that MTV has completely stepped away from it's roots and basically has no connection to music (minus the 15 second trendy song clips played in between shows). The good reason would have been that they had become so recognizable as a brand that they no longer had to spell out who they were to their customers. The irony? both have actually happened. MTV has indeed become easily recognizable as a brand, but they are now recognized for their crappy reality shows that suck the audience in because they are so mind-numbing you actually forget you are watching them. Anybody else miss the days of coming home from middle school to TRL?
It's about time!! MTV has nothing to do with music in the last few years. I use to remember the good ole days when I'd come home from school and watch Backstreet Boys and N'sync battle for the #1 spot but that feeling is gone, along with my "gut feeling" about the tv station. Their identity has changed and along with a lot of peoples attachment to it. I think it's kind of dumb, calling a tv statino "Music Television" and has nothing to do with music. Oh well... atleast they have jersey shore.
1. What design issues are you interested in? 2. What is your dream collaboration? 3. Compare your fashion style to your GD style. 4. What is your ideal work environment? 5. Response to Ira Glass on good taste. 6. Write a story
While reading this article, all I could think about was The Brand Gap book that we read in ID class last term.
ReplyDelete" A brand is a person's gut feeling about a product, service, or company. It's a gut feeling because we're all emotional, intuitive beings, despite out best efforts to be rational. It's a person's gut feeling, because in the end the brand is defined by individuals, not by companies, markets, or the so-called general public. Each person creates his or her own version of it." (The Brand Gap By: Marty Neumeier)
Personally, I think that MTV has turned into a brand and doesn't need to hold onto the "music television". A brand goes where ever it needs to. MTV has been moving forward with reality tv shows because of its popularity and because nobody wants to sit around and watch music video after music video on tv. In order to be successful I believe that companies or people may have to follow a different path in order to stay alive in the business world. TV has to give people what they want and if what they want is not on MTV then they will just change the channel. So why keep "music television" if that is not what you are showing?
I don't think that I have ever watched the MTV channel, everything I know about it is from word of mouth and advertising. From that view point, the dropping of the "Music Television" makes sense. Because I always hear people talk about it's personality shows, style and products not the music shown on it. I have always viewed it more a a subculture following, "The MTV Style" was something I heard a lot from my friends. This usually meant fast paced, loud and edgy. If this truly is the brand feeling that surrounds MTV then this switch should not hurt them at all. In fact it sounds like it is cleaning the brand message by admitting the fact that they are not just music and thus when people do watch their TV shows they aren't wondering why it is on a music station.
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS MTV!!! Hahaha this is too funny the channel formally known for its music videos, and more recently for its terrible reality shows is finally dropping the Music Television line in their logo. In my eyes this is the right step forward with their brand because for so long people complained that MTV was supposed to be a music channel which we all know it's not. The reason we complain is because that was the blatant name of the channel. Dropping the Music Television lie will give MTV in my eyes a better name to move forward with in whatever way they want to evolve there brand. I still think its funny that it took this long for this change to happen when it was so apparent.
ReplyDeleteI'd have to agree with Brenden on this one. This is a smart move for MTV. They've finally accepted that they are no longer interested in music. For some reason it's easier to pay for cheap productions following 20-somethings party, or celebrity dating competitions. It's pathetic what they have evolved into, but at least they know it now. No more will people complain that MTV isn't Music Television.
ReplyDeleteBut now what will MTV stand for? More Tacky Videos?
AGREED! MTV hasn't played music video (except for from like 2-7 in the morning) for a long time!! MTV has evolved from music (hence, MUSIC TELEVISION!) to a hotbed of crappy reality tv shows that are supposed to portray "real life" but in fact everything is so extreme and ridiculous that it all seems scripted, and the ridiculousness of it are what are making them so popular. HAHA > Nicole, More Tacky Videos. I think you should suggest that to them.
ReplyDeleteCrappy reality tv aside, MTV has been around for a long time and most people can recognize the logo without having "music television" written out underneath.
I hate MTV.
ReplyDeleteI know this doesn't count as a post, but I just had to.
Its the perpetual chase of whats "cool" to the teenage croud that companies are always trying to market to. The MTV of yesteryear is long gone, because it was the "cool" thing at the time. The constant chasing of this elusive feeling is constantly destroying and rebuilding brands that we all know and love. While the logo is still instantly recognizable without the "music television" tagline, the simplification clearly indicates their shift into a new market. I miss the old days of MTV, but the rebellion it once instilled was just a product of the "cool" of the day anyways...
ReplyDeletetwo reasons that mtv could have done this. One is a good one and the other one is a bad one. Unfortunately, the reason they did indeed make this change is the bad one. That being that MTV has completely stepped away from it's roots and basically has no connection to music (minus the 15 second trendy song clips played in between shows). The good reason would have been that they had become so recognizable as a brand that they no longer had to spell out who they were to their customers. The irony? both have actually happened. MTV has indeed become easily recognizable as a brand, but they are now recognized for their crappy reality shows that suck the audience in because they are so mind-numbing you actually forget you are watching them. Anybody else miss the days of coming home from middle school to TRL?
ReplyDeleteIt's about time!! MTV has nothing to do with music in the last few years. I use to remember the good ole days when I'd come home from school and watch Backstreet Boys and N'sync battle for the #1 spot but that feeling is gone, along with my "gut feeling" about the tv station. Their identity has changed and along with a lot of peoples attachment to it. I think it's kind of dumb, calling a tv statino "Music Television" and has nothing to do with music. Oh well... atleast they have jersey shore.
ReplyDelete